I have worn glasses for as long as I can remember, My world changed when I got my first pair in elementary school. Being able to actually see the board in school was such sweet relief. I will never forget my first pair... They were red-rimmed with a tiny round picture of Smurfette on the arms. So cute! I knew at that moment in 1st grade when I picked them out, that glasses would always be one of the coolest accessories! In middle school and high school, I rotated between wearing glasses and contacts. Then, when I was in college, I found myself wearing my glasses more and contacts less. It was probably all those late-night study sessions that compelled me to give my burning eyes a break from contacts and wear glasses. Now, I try to wear my glasses as much as possible. Not only do I get so tired of wearing contacts (too scared to get lasik), but there are endless styles at every price point from Dolce & Gabbana to Warby Parker to choose from!
Over the years I've learned a few things about wearing makeup and glasses together. Most of my tips are from trial and error. It's never fun when you take off your glasses only to discover foundation all over them and not on your face.
Here are my 6 best tips for wearing makeup and glasses together!
1. Foundation: Go mineral or matte. I find that it is best to stick with a foundation that won't rub-off very easily. Just don't forget to set your foundtion with loose powder to absorb any oil and set foundation. Click here to see perfect foundations.
2. Eyelashes: Major volume and/or falsies. So much attention is focused on your eyes... you want to make a impact with your lashes. I would use volumizing mascara or even add falsies. One thing to mention if you decide to wear fake eyelashes: Give them a length test before guling them on. Sometimes, if they are too long, they can hit you lenses on the inside and bother you all day. Don't forget you can always trim them with scissors before gluing them on, too. Here is one of my video tutorials on how-to apply faux lashes in case you need a help with that!
3. Brows: Define the shape. There's a reason Martin Scorsese rocks those brows! It is so impotant to define your eyebrows when you wear glasses. Especially if your glasses are on the bigger side, like mine. It helps to frame and balance your face. A must.
4. Lips: Be bold. I've found that I am always able to get away with a bold lip when I am wearing glasses. It's a perfect time to try a color that you've always wanted to wear. Oxblood, perhaps?
5. Cheeks: A bit more blush. Be sure to add a little extra blush to warm up your face. Click here to see some favorite blushes.
6. Highlight and contour: Give your face dimension. This tip is so important when wearing glasses. Areas like the nose, forehead, and under eye area are so important to highlight and contour. This helps to bring features we want forward and other features to recede. Click here to learn how to shade and hightlight.
This post is dedicated to all the gorgeous gals out there who wear glasses. Not only because they look cool (thanks Hipsters for making that happen), but because they need them to see! Hope these tips help next time you wear your lovely specs!