Beautiful: I am so excited to see the Baz Luhrmann The Great Gatsby movie! What is it about retro-inspired books and movies that we love so much? For me, it's the thought of living during another time, which always seems to be more glamorous. That's the beauty about books and movies, no matter how carried away we get in the wonder of that time, we quickly realize that certain themes are in every era...
Gorgeous: Makeup can tell us so much about women's history. In the 1920s, it was all about the gorgeous flapper! Women looking to overturn Victorian rule, challenging social norms, and wearing what was considered "heavy" makeup. It is one of my favorite eras for makeup because the look is so dramatic and distinctive!
Makeup: The 1920s-inspired makeup is all about: red bee stung lips, dark heavily outlined eyes, flawless skin, flush stained cheeks, and chiseled brows. Here are some beauty ideas to help you create The Great Gatsby look.
1. Hourglass Femme Rouge Velvet Creme Lipstick in Icon. Details: This is my new favorite red! Give it a try, you will love it! Ultra creamy and glides on like a dream!
2. Art Deco Compact by Stratton. Details: Stratton has been making powder compacts since 1923. This is a vintage inspired compact that is a must-have. You could also find true vintage compacts sold on Ebay by Stratton. Perfect for a compact collection (like me)!
3. Tarte Airbrush Finish Brush. Details: This is one of the hardest working brushes in my makeup kit! It gives a perfect foundation finish and is super soft!
4. Dior Airflash Spray Foundation. Details: This foundation is fabulous. It may take a few times to get comfortable applying it, but it's worth it! Tip: Spray foundation directly onto a foundation brush and then apply, this will help control application.
5. BCBG Stone Floral Necklace. Details: I just ordered this necklace. This little stunner can also be worn as a headband! So cute!
6. Benefit Benetint in Rose. Details: One of the very best tinted cheek and lip stains. A perfect flush look by a cult classic!
7. F. Scott Fitzgerald The Great Gatsby. Details: An American classic. If you have never read it, nows the time!
8. Hourglass Longwear Lipliner. Details: Before applying your lipstick, be sure to accentuate your cupid's bow with a lip liner. This will help extend the wear of your lipstick and give you a vintage-inspired look (think bee stung).
9. Givency Eyebrow Pencil. Details: Use this brow pencil to create a chiseled brow look. It glides on easy for perfect brows.
10. Tiffany & Co. Savoy Clutch. Details: Love this satin clutch in black! Tiffany & Co. recently launched a Jazz Age Glamour collection that is inspired by The Great Gatsby.
*The Great Gatsby illustration (above) by Designs byBC.
Do something lovely: The Great Gatsby movie is officially out (Yay, Leo!)! Wouldn't it be lovely to grab a Champagne Gimlet then head over to see the new movie this weekend? Cheers!
Special thanks to my sister Toni who has sipped the Baz Luhurmann Kool-aid with me since Romeo and Juliet, circa 1996. Who says Jay-Z and Bono can't be on the soundtrack for a 1920s themed movie? That's the beauty of Baz!